Thursday, May 2, 2013

Go Green (Well Light Green Anyways!)

Who has time to be healthy?!  I am trying to do better-especially since I have children who count on me to give them some guidance!  When I was visiting Traci in Florida over spring break, she made me try the juice she makes in her juicer.  I must admit, I was not sure about the color of it at first.  BUT, I was pleasantly surprised at how fresh it tasted.  I thought this would be an easy change for me at home.  I now try and have juice as my breakfast every morning.

Parker and Jeff refuse to eat veggies, but they will drink this juice.  At least they are getting fresh fruits and vegetables at least once in the day!

 There are lots of juicers out there.  I am broke (remember-I have been paying for grad school).  I bought this Black and Decker juicer for $35 at Walmart.  It works really well!

Here was my combination this morning-spinach, broccoli, carrots, orange, apple, ginger root, cilantro, tomatoes and lime.  You can put anything you want!

And...thanks to Traci...I thought I needed some blender bottles :)  These can be purchased at the local vitamin shop.  She also adds Mila seeds to here drink.  These seeds contain Omega-3, antioxidants, magnesium, calcium, and iron (to name a few).  I keep forgetting to get a bag from her so I bought Chai seeds at the local vitamin store and add a tablespoon to my juice.
 

Another way that I sneak veggies to Parker is by making smoothies with fresh spinach.  You CANNOT taste it.  We use milk, plain yogurt, fruit, slow churned vanilla ice cream, and a cup of spinach.  He drinks it down!  So easy!

My sister and I have also been talking about healthy products to use at home.  I found these at Meijer.  Mrs. Meyer's Cleaners don't use harsh chemical, and they smell awesome.  I am using the lavender counter top cleaner.  They also make laundry and hand soap. 


I also started using these "Yes to Blueberries" products.  Also found at Meijer for reasonable prices, these natural skin and hair care products have great reviews.  The company makes yes to tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and grapefruit products.  They even make baby products.  I didn't find the children's products at Meijer, but I may order some online (especially the sunscreen).  

I did find a product that I use called "Babyganics" at Meijer for the kids' bath.  It is only $4.99 and seems to be a good product.

BabyGanics Foamin' Fun Extra Gentle Foaming Shampoo & Bodywash, Sensitive/Fragrance Free


And speaking of " Going Green"...we have been enjoying the beautiful weather in our yard and neighborhood!  Parker would stay outside all day if we let him!


3 comments:

Elaine Welte said...

I really want a juicer! I may just need to go out and buy one for myself sometime this summer!!!! My Target had the Ms. Meyer's cleaner on sale this past week, so check your's! And, I miss Meijer's...... anyway, glad y'all are well! Oh, and I clean w/ vinegar, blue dawn soap, baking soda, and water- I love that i'm not spending money on cleaners! (Only windex and dusting spray)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cleaner tips! Yes...get a juicer! I love it :) Hope you are doing great. Almost baby time!

Traci Phillips said...

Glad to could be a "positive influence"! Will bring you a bag of Mila next month...meant to leave one with you when I was back for the race. <3 you guys!