Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Project (not on my original list)

Well-since it has been 100 degrees and no rain (until yesterday) here ALL summer, it has been hard to conquer some of my original summer goals.  I have done several of them, but the outside landscaping is at a halt because we have been hesitant to plant anything for fear it will just die.  BUT, since I am antsy, I decided the kitchen needed a face lift!  Our long term goal is to totally tear up the kitchen and knock down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make it one big space.  This will be a HUGE project, so that may be in a few years.  Jeff gave me the okay to paint the kitchen space.  The previous owners had FLAT paint EVERYWHERE.  This is not working with my kiddos.  I loved my kitchen at the old house, so decided to paint our kitchen here the same color (red).  After I painted the walls, the floor looked worse.  We had brown tile everywhere.  It is in good shape and will be a pain to take out.  I did some research and asked Jeff if I could paint it.  Since it only needs to last until we do the big renovation, he was okay with.  (This was a big moment for me because Jeff doesn't let me do any painting projects.  Since he is a perfectionist, he usually lets me come up with the vision and he does the work-not that I usually fight him!).  I used inspiration from this lady's site-http://www.curbly.com/m/6956-yes-you-can-paint-a-ceramic-tile-floor
and got to work.  For under $200, I think it looks a lot better  I still have to do the half bath/laundry area, but the entry way and kitchen are done!


SOME BEFORE PICTURES (The color looks different in each of the pictures, but you get the idea-not really my style)




THE AFTER PICTURES-Sorry there is a glare.  I am not photographer, but hopefully you can see the big difference.  I am looking for new rugs with a splash of red to go with the walls and to bring in some color.






HERE ARE THE PRODUCTS I USED...

First, I cleaned the floors really well.  Then, I applied this primer/sealer.  It was really thick and white, but dried clear (and really fast).

It took me three paint samples to find the best color for us.  We went with a porch and floor paint.  We usually get our paint at Lowe's (Valspar), but the night I went, they were out of one of the base colors to mix it and it was going to take 3-4 days to get it.  I am impatient and was trying to get it done at night while the kids were sleeping, so I went to Menard's.  The color we choose was called "Urban Bronze" from the HGTV collection.


Jeff was kind enough to help out on the final poly coats.  We did 4 coats of water based poly.  We thought the smell might not be as bad as oil based.  It wasn't as strong, but I still took the kiddos out while he did it.  It dried really fast between coats.  I think he still wants to do one more when he does the bathroom/laundry area.

Once I get the entire kitchen finished and decorated, I will do a picture of the final outcome!  It is crazy how much it feels like our old home (which I like).  I even got a thumbs up from Jeff :)

No comments: